Sunday, October 16, 2011

Not For Public Viewing!

There are a few things in life which should not be spectator sports.  Giving birth is one of them.  However, some people disagree with me.

Brooklyn performance artist Marni Kotak plans to give birth in her art gallery, and the public is invited to view the event.  Want to know what she's thinking?  Check out her interview with the Village Voice to find out.

Canadian Chiropractor, Dr. Nancy Salgueiro, will be live-casting her birth online.  Care to learn more or even register to view it in real time?  You can do so here.

While I personally cannot see why something as intimate and private as giving birth should be publicized for all the world to see, seeing a live birth is probably a good lesson for students studying L&D nursing, midwifery and OBGYN.  Despite the potential learning opportunity which opening up one's birth can provide, I am going to continue giving birth in private.  Something about me being in my most vulnerable time with everything on display does not entice me into having a world-wide audience.

No comments: